Homelessness Prevention Program (HPP)

DNSSAB’s HPP Program provides assistance to households experiencing homelessness and at-risk of homelessness by providing direct benefit support and Homelessness Prevention Navigator services.

What do I do if I don't have a place to stay tonight?

If you find yourself without a place to stay tonight, please see any of our following providers. [link]

What if I have already used this program?

Coming Soon (…link to nav for next steps, community partners for next steps…)

How often can I access HPP?

Coming Soon

What is the maximum I can get from this benefit?

Coming soon

What if I owe more than your benefit provides

Coming soon

Housing Access Nipissing

The following information is for those interested in applying for housing through Housing Access Nipissing.

What is rent-geared-to-income housing?

Rent-geared-to-income is rent you pay based on your household's gross monthly income

How much much will my rent be?

f you have applied for rent-geared-to-income housing, your rent will be approximately 30% of the household’s combined gross monthly income. Depending on circumstances, there may be additional costs such as utilities and parking.

What is market rent housing?

Market rents are units offered by our housing provider at full rent (not based on your income).

How do I apply for rent-geared-to-income or market rent housing?

You can apply for rent-geared-to-income and/or market rent housing by downloading and printing the combined housing application form off the website, by picking it up from the Housing Access Nipissing 133 Main Street West (Suite 200, Second Floor) in North Bay or by calling 705-472-2826 to have an application form mailed out to you.

Will I know when my application is received/complete?

A notice letter informing you of your application status will be mailed to you. No need to call.

Do I have to be living in the District to apply for social housing in Nipissing?

No, you can apply for housing in the Nipissing District and live outside the area.

What if I owe money to a social housing provider?

You cannot be placed on the centralized waiting list if you or anyone in your household owes arrears to any social housing provider in Ontario. You must have proof of an up-to-date payment schedule in order to be placed on the waiting list or to be offered housing. Your application for rent-geared-to-income housing will only be processed once we receive confirmation that the arrears have been paid or that a repayment agreement is in place and is being followed.

How long do I have to wait for housing?

We can’t predict how long you will have to wait because we do not know when there will be vacancies in the buildings you selected. When providers have a vacancy in one of their communities, they will look at their waiting list. The selection of applicants from the waiting list is chronological-first-come, first-served-therefore those with the oldest application date will be offered first.

Why does it take so long to get housed?

A housing provider must have a vacant unit in order for it to be filled from the Housing Access Nipissing lists. If no one is moving out, there are no units to offer.

How can I obtain housing sooner?

Housing Access Nipissing rules give priority to the following categories (if any apply to you, you may fill out the specific forms from our website, or call the Housing Access Nipissing for more information): The first priority is for victims of domestic abuse (Special Priority Household Category). The second priority is for victims of fire/disaster (Urgent Priority Status Category).

Does Housing Access Nipissing provide emergency housing?

No, Housing Access Nipissing does not provide emergency housing. Emergency shelters provide emergency housing. A list of shelters is provided on our website or available at our office.

Where am I on the waitlist?

Information about your “place” or “number” on the waitlists is not available. Where you stand relative to other applicants can vary from day to day, depending on your status and the status of incoming applications, your bedroom size requirement, and vacancies that may or may not come up in the buildings you have chosen. Every building you have selected is a list of its own, and you may be in a different position on each list. Where you are on the waitlist is not a question we can answer.

How will I be contacted for an offer?

You will be contacted by telephone and/or email so it is very important that you make sure that we have a current phone number and email address on your file.

How many offers do I get?

You are entitled to 3 offers of housing. If you accept an offer of rent-geared-to-income housing with any of the participating social housing providers, your file will be closed. If you then wish to move to another community, you will have to reapply with a new application date. If you refuse your 3rd and final offer, your file will be cancelled. If you are still interested in rent-geared-to-income housing, you will have to reapply with a new application date.

Am I able to transfer from one social housing building to another?

You cannot transfer from one building to another. If you would like to live in a different building, you must fill out another application and go on the waitlist with a new start date.

Who do I notify if I have any changes to my application?

You must notify Housing Access Nipissing of any changes to your application such as your current address, phone number, changes in the selection of buildings, if the number of household members increases/decreases etc.

At what age am I eligible for seniors housing?

65 years of age.

How do I apply to a different municipality?

If you are interested in applying to another municipality in Ontario, please contact the coordinated access group in that area. They will be able to provide you with information on the social housing available in their community. A list of these groups is available through the Ontario Non Profit Housing Association.

Nipissing District - Ontario Renovates Program

The Nipissing District - Ontario Renovates Program provides forgivable loan assistance to low and moderate income households to assist them in performing eligible major repairs, renovations and accessibility modifications to their homes. Here are some common questions we get about the program.

Who is eligible for the program?

Eligible households must meet a list of criteria, which includes the following: Be at least 18 years old and a Canadian Citizen or Landed Immigrant Own a home in the District of Nipissing that serves as the household’s sole and principle residence Have an annual gross household income of $77,100 or less (including the applicant, spouse and anyone over the age of 18 residing in the home and not attending school full-time)

What homes are eligible for the program?

Eligible homes for the program can be detached, semi-detached or a freehold townhouse.
Homes must:

  • Be in the District of Nipissing and serve as the household’s sole and principal residence, and
    not rented or leased in any part
  • Be valued at $241,487 or less as per the most recent MPAC Notice of Property Assessment
  • Not encumbered by a second mortgage or liens, unless there is sufficient equity in the home

What are the eligible repairs/retrofits?

The following are examples of potential eligible and ineligible repairs under the Ontario

Renovates Program:


  • Structural (foundations, roofs, walls, floors)
  • Electrical Systems
  • Plumbing
  • Heating and Energy Conservation Systems
  • Accessibility for the Disabled (includes ramps and interior renovations)
  • Secondary Dwellings (additional approvals are required)


  • Renovations that are for cosmetic reasons
  • Repair projects that have already started prior to applying for Ontario Renovates
  • Landscaping

Who chooses the contractor(s)?

Applicants who receive assistance under the program must obtain three written quotes prior
to commencing repairs or renovations. DNSSAB will select the most appropriate contractor(s)
based on the quotes provided.

  • Quotes must be submitted to the DNSSAB prior to the start of any work
  • Repairs and renovations that are underway prior to approvals are not eligible for funding
  • All work must be performed by a licensed contractor with a registered business number, WSIB and liability insurance coverage and a municipal business license

What documents are needed to apply?

Along with a completed application form, applicants are required to submit the following in
order to be considered for the program:

  • Two pieces of photo identification
  • Copy of a birth certificate or citizenship document for each homeowner
  • Copy of the 2020 Notice of Income Tax Assessment from CRA for each household member over the age of 18
  • Verification of current income for each household member over the age of 18
  • Copy of the 2016 Property Assessment Notice issued by MPAC
  • Copy of current home insurance policy
  • Copy or verification that the mortgage is in good standing from the lending institution
  • Copy of proof of ownership (deed or registration)
  • Copy of current tax report or letter from municipality stating there are no tax arrears

If I still have more questions about the Nipissing District - Ontario Renovates Program, who can I contact?

If you haven’t already, please visit the Nipissing District - Ontario Renovates Program page which has a contact form and other contact information.